Relates to: Communication, Creativity, Free Will, Speech
Today we’re talking about the throat chakra. The fifth chakra in the chakra system is about communication, creativity, free will, and speech. Physically, the throat chakra is linked to the throat and neck. The vowel sound for the throat chakra is eye (like my). The throat chakra is the link between emotions and reason.
Underactive = lacking in energy
Overactive = has too much energy
If your throat chakra is underactive you will likely be unable to express yourself, feel ignored or misunderstood, fear speaking in public, is timid, dependent on others, not able to realize your ideas, may have poor social skills, and not able to express their creative side. If your throat chakra is overactive you’ll talk too much, be overly opinionated, bore others, criticize others and be stubborn.
Someone with a balanced throat chakra is able to be vulnerable with others, can express themselves, are honest, creative, show leadership skills, and have a variety of interests. These people are com
If you feel your throat chakra is under or overactive and want to heal it, here are some ways to do so. Pick whatever resonates with you. If you’re not sure that you like it, try it and see if you do. Move on to the next thing if it doesn’t work for you.
- Chant the mantra: Ham. You can do this with background music, or into silence. Do this for at least 3 minutes if you’re pressed for time.
- Do some yoga postures. Plow pose, Fish pose, camel and cobra are good yoga postures for the throat chakra. Take a look at the pictures on Chakra Anatomy for more details.
- Do a gratitude practice. When we are thankful for the things in our lives all of our chakras expand, especially our throat chakra. You can even do this gratitude practice like an prayer if that calls to you. For example, Thank you God / Universe/ Your Chosen Deity for this food on my plate, the roof over my head, the clothes that I wear. Or do it like an affirmation: thank you for all the abundance in my life.
- Use a solfeggio frequencies. The solfeggio frequency for the throat chakra is 741 Hz. I found this one on YouTube that you may like. There are many throat chakra meditations on the insight timer app (my favourite meditation app) as well.
- Use crystals. Aquamarine, blue topaz, turquoise, and lapis lazuli
are all crystals good for the throat chakra. You can carry them with you, wear them in jewelry, or meditate with them.
- Look up at the blue sky above you. There’s nothing so comforting as looking at a blue sky in the summertime. Even in the winter it’s refreshing to look at the blue sky. The expansiveness of the sky and the feeling of openness can also help your throat chakra open.
- Express your feelings and ideas. You can do this by talking to your friends, family, co-workers. You could also do journaling, write poetry, or do a video. If you’re feeling emotion well up and want to release it you can also scream, laugh or do whatever you feel drawn to do. Just make sure the people around you know what you’re doing so they don’t think you’ve gone crazy. LOL.
- Practice your communication skills. There are so many ways to do to practice your communication skills. Many cities have a toastmaster’s group where you can practice giving a presentation in front of the other members. You could also do an improv class.
- Spend time in meditation or in silence listening to your inner voice. Those with underactive throat chakras may experience their inner voice is so quiet that they often can’t hear it. In that case you want to “turn up the volume” of your inner voice or intuition so you can hear it better and follow it’s guidance. Those with overactive throat chakras may have a very loud inner voice that shouts or yells. Turning it down can support looking at the subtleties of your emotions or communications with others.
- Practice being assertive or listen more carefully. If you usually give way to what other people want when they voice their opinions, then practice saying no. Check in with yourself and if the true answer is no then say no. If you’re the kind of person who talks a lot, practice listening more closely.
- Wear the colour blue or have it around you in your home where you can see it easily.
- Use affirmations. Create your own or use one of these affirmations below.
I am creative and I can express myself.
I am open to sharing myself authentically with others.
I speak kindly and with truth.
I communicate effectively and eloquently.
I hope this article has given you some insight into the throat chakra and tools to heal it. Did you try any of the tools above? I’d love to know! Please comment below.