Location: Between your eyebrows
Relates to: Intuition, Insight, Psychic Awareness, Wisdom, Thought, Morality
Today we’re talking about the third eye chakra. The sixth chakra in the chakra system is about intuition, insight, psychic awareness, wisdom, thought, morality, inspiration, creativity, and vision. Physically, the third eye chakra is linked to the pineal gland which is in charge of the body’s biorhythms. The vowel sound for the third eye chakra is Aa (like say).
Underactive = lacking in energy
Overactive = has too much energy
If your third eye chakra is underactive you’ll feel like you can’t see the bigger picture, will be easily influenced, confused about your life purpose, lack clarity in your life, frequently day dream to avoid reality, and doubt yourself. If your third eye chakra is overactive you’ll be narrow-minded, arrogant, egotistical, opinionated, stubborn, don’t trust people, can’t connect to your higher self, materialistic, overly logical and uninspired.
Someone with a balanced third eye chakra is intuitive, charismatic, knows their purpose in life, has insight, emotional awareness, is seen as wise, and has clarity in their life. They may also be in tune with their psychic abilities (clairvoyance, etc). Have you ever met someone who seems to know how you’re feeling even if you’re trying to hide it? Or do you know someone who is in tune with their intuition and it has saved them from unpleasant experiences? Those people are the ones with a balanced third eye chakra.
If you feel your third eye chakra is under or overactive and want to heal it, here are some ways to do so. Pick whatever resonates with you. If you’re not sure that you like it, try it and see if you do. Move on to the next thing if it doesn’t work for you.
- Chant the mantra: Sham. Or the vowel sound Aa (like say). You can do this with background music, or into silence. Do this for at least 3 minutes if you’re pressed for time.
- Do some yoga postures. Forward bend, child’s pose, and dolphin pose are great yoga postures for the third eye chakra. Here is a 15 minute video on third eye yoga postures.
- Practice mindfulness. If you’re the type that loves to day dream and get lost in your day dreams, practicing mindfulness will help you. By grounding yourself in the present moment you bring yourself back to reality. Doing simple breathwork is a good start. One easy breath meditation is breathing in for 5 seconds, holding for 5 seconds then exhaling for 5 seconds. You can do this several times and really focus on the actions of your body and how it feels as you do the breathing.
- Use a solfeggio frequencies. The solfeggio frequency for the third eye chakra is 852 Hz. Here is a solfeggio meditation on YouTube for the third eye chakra.
- Use crystals. shungite, sapphire, lapis lazuli and amethyst are all crystals good for the third eye chakra. You can carry them with you, wear them in jewelry, or meditate with them.
- Do self-reflection. By doing self-reflection you can increase your self-awareness. One technique is using a journal. Look at why you behave the way you do and why you believe what you do.
- Look at your dreams. Your dreams are full of subconscious and symbolic messages about your desires, needs and fears. If you practice remembering your dreams and writing them down you could gain valuable insight into your subconscious. Keep a journal near your bedside so when you wake up you can write the details of your dream down.
- Practice your psychic abilities. There are several psychic abilities people can have. The most commonly known are clairvoyance (clear vision), clairaudience (clear hearing), claircognizance (clear knowing), clairsentience (clear feeling). For example, to practice claircognizance when the phone rings see if you can sense who is calling you without looking at the caller id. For clairvoyance you could practice seeing your aura or other peoples auras. There are many ways to practice your psychic abilities. Some people wouldn’t event call these psychic abilities. Everyone has some psychic ability by the way. If you’ve been raised to ignore yours, it may just take time and practice to get in touch with them again.
- Wear the colour indigo or have it around you in your home where you can see it easily.
- Use affirmations. Create your own or use one of these affirmations below.
I trust my intuition.
My intuition guides me to my highest good.
I am connected to the wisdom of the universe.
I know my life’s purpose.
I hope this article has given you some insight into the third eye chakra and tools to heal it. Did you try any of the tools above? I’d love to know! Please comment below.