Location: Top or crown of the head
Relates to: Higher consciousness, Enlightenment, Inspiration, Connection to the Universe
Today we’re talking about the crown chakra. The seventh chakra in the chakra system is about higher consciousness, enlightenment, inspiration, and connection to the divine or the universe. Physically, the crown chakra is linked to the head and brain. The vowel sound for the crown chakra is Ee (like me ).
Underactive = lacking in energy
Overactive = has too much energy
If your crown chakra is underactive you will be feeling misunderstood, lonely, constantly worrying, unable to connect with others, apathetic, like your life doesn’t have purpose and disconnected to your spirituality. If your crown chakra is overactive you’ll be addicted to spirituality, egotistic, crave attention, have a need to be popular, and be mentally confused.
Someone with a balanced crown chakra is joyful, wise, peaceful, compassionate, feels inspired, connected to their higher self, their spiritual side, to everyone and to nature. This is a person who has faith, and spiritual beliefs but doesn’t go overboard with them. They may also radiate a sense of serenity and peace.
If you feel your crown chakra is under or overactive and want to heal it, here are some ways to do so. Pick whatever resonates with you. If you’re not sure what you’ll like, try it and see if you do. Move on to the next thing if it doesn’t work for you.
- Chant the mantra: Om. You can do this with background music, or into silence. You can do this in as little as 1 minute if you’re pressed for time.
- Do some yoga postures: Mountain pose, tree pose and forward fold are some yoga poses for the crown chakra. Here is an article with illustrations on the poses. Brett Larkin also has a video for crown chakra yoga.
- Meditate. Meditation not only clears your mind of mental garbage but it also connects you to the divine, whatever your beliefs are. There are so many different ways of meditating. Prayer is a form of meditation. Tai chi is a moving meditation. Pick one that you appeals to you. You may want to explore the different forms of meditation if you’re really curious. I like the insight timer app as there are many meditations you can access there for free. Colette Baron-Reid has an interesting crown chakra video on YouTube.
- Reduce clutter. Believe it or not, clearing your clutter can help clear your mind. Too much clutter overstimulates your brain. By keeping your brain as clear as possible you’ll be able to access that connection to the divine. Read this 2011 study by Princeton University Neuroscience Institute for the scientific explanation.
- Use a solfeggio frequencies. The solfeggio frequency for the crown chakra is 963 Hz. Here’s a video for a solfeggio crown chakra meditation. I found this one very soothing. Find one that you like if this one isn’t to your taste.
- Use crystals. Selenite, labradorite, and amethyst are all crystals good for the crown chakra. You can carry them with you, wear them in jewelry, or meditate with them.
- Try some energy work. There are some types of energy work you can do yourself such as qigong, yoga, acupressure, and EFT (also called tapping). For other energy work like reiki, reflexoloy, and acupuncture you may want to book an appointment with a practitioner.
- Look for synchronicities. One way to open up your crown chakra is to become aware of synchronicities, also called signs. I had a synchronicity happen recently where someone called me to ask if I’d like to take part in her project. Funny thing is, I was thinking of doing a similar project. I took that as a sign that I was meant to be a part of her project. Also pay attention to cledons. A cledon is when a message is given to you by someone or something else. Colette Baron-Reid explains in her article here.
- Explore what spirituality means to you. Spirituality is a person’s individual approach to connecting to the divine. This can go hand in hand with your religious practice if you have one. You can have your own individual spiritual practice while going to church as well. So what does spirituality mean to you? If you’re an atheist (not believing in god or gods) it might mean having faith in the general goodness of humanity. Whatever your beliefs are, explore what you’re curious about. You can read books, listen to podcasts, watch videos or documentaries, take self-development courses, etc. Tailor your exploration to the time you want to spend on this and what draws you.
- Create your own spiritual practice. Having your own spiritual practice can really open up your crown chakra and keep it’s energies clear. Your spiritual practice can be unique to you. My personal practice is based on the things I’ve learned. Every morning after exercising I will do yoga, clear my lymphatic points (acupressure), clear my energy meridians (energy work), do some affirmations and do some meditation. I also like to give thanks for every meal I eat. What do you like to do? I have a friend who is Hindu that does puja (prayer) every day.
- Wear the colour violet or have it around you in your home where you can see it easily.
- Use affirmations. Create your own or use one of these affirmations below.
I am connected to the divine.
My spirit guides and angels are supporting me.
I am open to signs from the universe.
I hope this article has given you some insight into the crown chakra and tools to heal it. Did you try any of the tools above? I’d love to know! Please comment below.