Location: Pelvic area, a couple of inches below your belly button
Relates to: Money, Relationships, Sexuality, Intimacy, Creativity
Today we’re talking about the sacral chakra (also called the sex chakra because of the proximity to the genitals). The second chakra in the chakra system is about creativity, money, relationships, sexuality and intimacy. Once your foundational needs are met in the root chakra the next question is often: what do I want to create? How do I want to feel? Going back to Maslow’s hierarchy of needs the sacral chakra is level three. See picture below.
Underactive = lacking in energy
Overactive = has too much energy
If your sacral chakra is underactive then you may feel negative emotions, sluggish, lost, creatively blocked, afraid to interact, and overly concerned about what others think of you. If your sacral chakra is overactive you may behave manipulatively, aggressively, show lack of emotional stability and be addicted to things that give you pleasure.
Someone with a balanced sacral chakra is friendly, passionate, playful, energetic, embraces change, and expresses themselves sexually in a healthy way.
If you want to heal your sacral chakra here are some ways to do so. Pick whatever you’re drawn to. If you’re not sure that you’ll like it, be open to trying it and see if you do. Move on to the next thing if it doesn’t work for you.
- Chant the mantra: Vam
- Release your emotions in a safe place. If you feel like crying do so. Scream, jump up and down. I once heard an author say: Get a plastic or sponge bat and beat the heck out of a pillow. Do whatever your body and emotions are aching to do but you never gave yourself permission to do so before. As long as you don’t hurt any being this is a safe way to release your emotions.
- Do some yoga postures for the sacral chakra like: hip openers, and cat cow. Brett Larkin’s website shows how to do these yoga positions.
- Explore your sexuality. Whether or not you have a partner there are ways to explore your sexuality. Read books on what you’re curious about. Learning to harness your tantric energy doesn’t have to involve sex. If you have a partner ask them if you can try something different when in bed. If you’re single, do something that makes you feel sexy. Put on some music, light some candles, and dance in a sensual way. This is all about expressing yourself.
- Do something creative like writing, drawing, painting, singing, etc. You know how kids play with making art in school? Come to this with the same attitude of playtime and don’t expect perfection right away. Your skills will come in time if you choose to practice them.
- Do a sacral chakra meditation. There are many options on various sources like on YouTube, or apps like Insight Timer. Brett Larkin also has a sacral chakra meditation on YouTube.
- Use crystals: carnelian, tiger’s eye, orange calcite, sunstone, amber, and tangerine quartz. You can carry them with you or meditate with them. You can also get jewelry with these crystals.
- Take care of your body. Most of us are pretty rough with our bodies. Sometimes we don’t get enough rest, eat well or give it breaks like a walk in fresh air. What can you do to take care of yourself? Take a nap, give yourself an oil massage, stretch out your body if its tight, these are just some ideas.
- Use affirmations. Create your own or use one of these affirmations:
- I allow myself to feel my emotions.
- I am a passionate person.
- I take care of and respect my body.
- I have healthy boundaries.
- Wear the colour orange or have it around you in your home. Some place where you can see it easily.
- Look at your addictions. Are you addicted to sweet foods? Sex? Gambling? Alcohol? Take time to look at these addictions deeply. What is at the root of them? Are they filling in for something that you feel is lacking? You can journal about this, talk to a friend, a therapist or family member that you trust.
I hope this article has given you some insight into the sacral chakra and tools to heal your sacral chakra. Did you try any of the tools above? I’d love to know!